Friday, March 29, 2013

Why Burma?




"Myanmar? Why Myanmar?" A colleague of mine chuckled. "What is there to see?"

Such is the response I get whenever I tell a friend or a colleague of mine, that I'm going to Myanmar. 

I had planned to visit Sri Lanka initially, but since Air Asia has cancelled its flights to Colombo, I had to make use of my holidays which I had planned since last year. With persistent coaxing from my backpacking mate, I just could not say no. Why so?

"This is Burma and it is unlike any land you know about." Rudyard Kipling was absolutely right! 

Myanmar has always been underrated, and almost mislabelled, and I can't blame others for doing so. Having isolated itself from the other parts of the world for far too long, its ruler - the military junta - has not earned itself an honorable reputation, due to the constant reports of military crackdowns on democracy and frequent racial clashes within the country. 

The recent government change, despite how meager it was, has shone a new beacon of light. With Aung San Suu Kyi's release and how democracy has began to sprout gracefully, I managed to put down the conscientious bit of my soul, and visit this amazing country. Nevertheless, as I was encumbered with my PACES preparations, I hardly had anytime to properly research this trip and had to depend on a few remarkable resources online, which helped me wondrously, saving lots of my time and effort. 

Many thanks to www.diydetour.com for its detailed travelling guide and a few blog writers for their amazing and inspiring stories. My trip would have been enjoyably disastrous without you!




No comments:

Post a Comment